Reliquary of Saint John the Baptist
On the bowl rests the head of a bearded man with curly short hair, with half-open mouth and closed eyes, surrounded by a wreath of rays. On top of the head is a circular glazed window through which the relics are visible. The surface of the saint’s cut neck covered with a mosaic of radial rubies. On the collar of the bowl a minuscule engraved inscription: Sancte iohanes baptista ora pro nobis deum.
The reliquary, which was the foundation of the cathedral canon Piotr Kozłowski, was created during the reign of Bishop Karl Habsburg (1608 – 1624). It was made by Caspar Pfister, one of the most eminent artists in the history of Wrocław goldsmithery.