Our Lady of Victory
Located in the church of St. Nicholas in Gdańsk, the icon of Our Lady of Victory dates from the first half of the fifteenth century, and was commissioned by the Dominicans of Lviv. Its author is unknown, while according to researchers it could have come from the Serbo-Macedonian circle or the area of Halich Rus.
Also, it is probably the oldest Marian image of Byzantine origin in Poland.
Iconographically, the painting depicts the Madonna and Child. The Madonna is dressed in a dark mantle with an appliqué in the form of gold stars and cross ornament. The Child, dressed in a bright red tunic, raises her right hand in a gesture of blessing, and in her left hand she holds a scroll of parchment. On the Madonna’s head is painted a crown of the Gothic type with a finial in the form of seven trilliums and an outline drawn with a thin dark line. A halo stretches over the head of the Madonna and Child.
In the 18th century, many miracles and graces associated with the image of the Madonna were demonstrated. Based on these, the coronation of the image took place on July 1, 1751. The crowns of the image are a high-class work of goldsmith and jewelry art. Both are blasted with numerous precious stones, such as rubies, sapphires, topazes, amethysts and mountain crystals.
The icon came to St. Nicholas Church in 1946, brought by Dominicans leaving Lviv. It was placed in the former altar of the Rosary Brotherhood – now the Blessed Virgin Mary – where it remains to this day.